2009-08-28

The Power of Words

On my first day as a school librarian in Honduras (my first job out of college) one of my third graders raised her hand. "Miss, may I go to the bathroom?" she asked. I was a little surprised that I had the authority to say "yes" or "no." It took me a few days to learn that there are times when "not right now" is actually a better answer.

Then a few years later, teaching Spanish History to 10th graders, I was struck again by the power in my words. We were discussing the rightness and wrongness of certain historical events and I must have said something mildly profound because I glanced down to notice one of my students copying my sentence word-for-word on the side of her notebook with my name underneath it the way people quote C.S. Lewis or John F. Kennedy.

There is great power in the words of the people in authority over us. I remember a college professor who suggested I major in a particular subject. I took his advice. Those were powerful words to me. Words shape reality. During the impressionable years of childhood and into adolescence, kids look to their parents even more than teachers or peers to tell them what's real. What an awesome responsibilty this is!

A word spoken in anger can cut a child very deeply. Thoughtful praise can affect the course of a child's future. Today I want to encourage you to choose the words you use with your children carefully. With great power comes great responsibility.

RESOURCES


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter